Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Updating...

JULY 5, 2009

These last few days have flown by. I´ve gotten to know a lot of very interesting people. It´s been incredible to hang out with the people who speak spanish. The more I do, the easier it seems to get. The last several days have been super busy with patients, but today is Sunday, so we took a rest from working. We spent the day resting and playing with the boys. We got absolutely murdered in fútbol. I think the final score ended up being gringos-3 peruvians-10. I really enjoy the work down here, and i think I´m even starting to get used to the cold showers!
Today, we were in the market in Mala, and everyone looked at us like they had never seen white people before...one guy even took a picture of us as we walked by! But we´ve been taking pictures and shooting video flim all week, so I guess what´s fair, is fair. :)

Everyday I see more poverty. Every day I see a patiet who is diagnosed with little hope. We had to rush a lady to the hospital just yesterday who needed immediate attention because her blood pressure was so high that she was in real danger of going into a coma any moment. You should see the bathrooms in the schools here. They are far worse then I could imagine on my own. It brings the question, why? Why is this allowed? How could God allow such extremes? What did I do to be so blessed?
But it´s easy to realize that God´s ways are not my ways, and that trying to understand them is not my job. I love how it is put in Proverbs 11:5:

As you do not know the path of the wind,
or how the body is formed in the mother´s womb,

so you can not understand the works of God, the Maker of all things.

God is definitely working on my mind. I have such a heart for these people. It will be neat to see where he leads...

5 comments:

  1. Dear Catherine, Keep up the good work! You are doing a great job of journaling, persevere. A key principle is that we influence people out of the focus of our heart / life. As you love the people by deed and word and attitude and they see your love for the Lord they will certainly be drawn to Him. I love you and miss you! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Girl!!!! I got a new camera1!!!!!!!!Its SO pretty!!! Its hot pink!!!! I can't wait to show you!!!! Love ya so much, MiniWalters!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. K and I are not beuno right now...
    Guess Who

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cat-King...great keeping up on your mission trip. Cold showers...that will be one that you'll talk about for years. Do you have ice??? That's another simple American luxury that we take for granted. Take care...love ya lots!

    --Burbach Family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chicita!!!!
    Can you post comments on people's comments??
    The Laura Show is doing amazing! I didn't get to talk to you last time you called. :( The parents wanted to talk to you. Hmph. Haha!! We charged mom and dad $60 after we talked on the phone!! Mahahahahahahaha1!! Claire and I are getting together on Friday!! Me and mom went out to play volleyball yesterday, and I beasted her with my spikes. :)
    Love you so much,
    Laura
    P.S. I reserve the right to miss you

    ReplyDelete